12.25.2007

40 Days - Day 17

"Go and do the same." - Luke 10:37 NASB

I am currently reading Red Letters by Tom Davis. I bought the book on a whim one day in Borders. The book is subtitled "Living A Faith That Bleeds." The above passage from Luke is the lead-in to the 1st chapter, which speaks of a living gospel. The book does a fabulous job of making me want to change out of my pajamas, empty my piggy bank, and get on the next plane destined for a 3rd world country. Red Letters ignites the fire in my soul to change the world.

Christmastime excites me: the lights, the food, the family, the gift wrapping, the seasonal drinks at Starbucks - especially the seasonal drinks at Starbucks. I like the feeling in the air and the experience of the holidays.

However, the thing I like the most about Christmastime is seeing people bless others out of the goodness of their own hearts. This makes me smile.

I was listening to 88.7 the other day in my car, and Jeff from the morning show was sharing a story about a bank in North Dakota. The employees at this bank get a Christmas bonus each year of a thousand dollars. However, there is a catch to this bonus! The employees must spend every penny of their bonus on someone ELSE. The workers of this bank are given a video camera and sent on their way. They must help a family in need, a single mother, or give it to a soup kitchen. They are required to document the experience with the camera.

As we enjoy Christmas Day and the holiday season, my prayer for our youth group is to give and bless out of willingness, not out of obligation. Even as the holidays wind down, Christmas lights are put away, and the ugly sweaters from grandma are "conveniently forgotten," I still feel the challenge to bless those around me who are struggling in some way. Just because the fever of helping others out during the holiday season dwindles away, we still need to fuel the fire of servitude. The mending that takes place in the lives of those who are helped is incredible, but I never grow tired of the peace and blessing that rains down on MY life; it's a feeling that I will always remember.

Daddy,
I come to you on Christmas day, the day that your Son was born. I thank you for sending Him for me. I thank you for the incredible blessings that you have placed in my life, and I thank you for the opportunity to use those blessings to reach out to those in need. I pray that you ignite an urgency in the youth to serve in Your name, Lord; I pray that we are a living gospel, and we "Go and do the same," like it says in Luke. I pray that as Winter Retreat comes closer, you soften hearts so they are willing to abandon and cry out to You. I pray that You continue to anoint the leaders and staff of the youth group, and that you bless them with wisdom and guidance. I know that You have a plan for our time at Winter Retreat, and I pray that the youth group, as a whole, is willing to drop worldly ideas and follow You without a second thought. You are a Mighty God, a God that can move mountains and cleanse the deepest wounds.
I love you Daddy!

Amberly

2 comments:

Heather Higham said...

Amberly,
I am so proud of you! The joy of giving blesses me as well, and I long for us to "Go and do the same" as a youth group... I think most of us understand what it means to go, but we continue to learn what it means to "do the same." God teach us how to love, have mercy, forgive, give, and be more like You each day. Grant us wisdom LORD. Open our hearts to Your Word and Your Word to our hearts! We bless You and praise Your name! Thanks for the timely reminder Amberly. You are loved!

Anonymous said...

Amberly, this is Hannah again.... I made a comment on your other blog -- IF this is the same amberly. : ) I am urious how your decision is coming along regarding going to Africa. It is so worth it! Leaving the US and going to countries where poverty is a such a harsh reality will minimize your chances of becoming a wretchedly selfish person... it impacts you forever and impacts the world with God's love. : ) Anyhow, let me know how its going. I am praying for ya, girl!
With joy,
Hannah
hannah@hopechest.org