12.12.2007

40 Days - Day 4

Well… as some of you may know, Winter Retreat is about prayer, and I am honored that I got the privilege of writing this.

So, I am here to ask you, “HOW do YOU pray?” I really want you to think about that. Like, what does praying mean to you?

Is it, “Dear God, I really like the way that you made the sky, and thank you for my food. I love you. Amen?”

OR, “Father God, thank you for all that you do for me. Thank you. I love you so much, but God I have to tell you the way things played out with my girl friend sucked so much. I can’t stand life right now at home, with friends, at church, at school, at work, and the list goes on… I have to be honest with you; it is hard for me not to doubt that I am capable to serve you in a way that could be pleasing to your eyes, ears, nose, or mouth… You are really going to have to help me out here because I cannot make it alone… I need your grace. I love you Jesus.

OR, “Father God, You AMAZE me. I love you.”

Well, the fact of the matter is that it doesn’t matter to God at all! So, you’re either like duh! Where is this going, or um ok? Then, what was all that I just read?

I simply wanted to point something out. I wanted to point out that God doesn’t care what we pray. All that matters is that we are praying. The Word says to “never stop praying” (1 Thess. 5:17 NLT). We are called and commanded to pray constantly. So, will we pray?

There is a song by an older Christian artist called Eli. The song basically talks about this man who died and went to heaven, and when he got there, he was walking down the streets of heaven as the houses kept getting smaller and smaller. He gets to his house and asks God, “Why is my house so small?” God replied by saying, “That was all the wood you sent ahead of you.” So, all of that to say, I am going to ask you guys not to only pray for what happens at Winter Retreat, but I ask you to also pray for what will happen before Winter Retreat. Let’s bring a lot of wood so that God can build whatever He has the plans for.

Nathan Tinius

2 comments:

Heather Higham said...

Nathan,
This devotional has your personality all over it! Thanks for writing from your heart. Thanks for the reminider to talk to God at all times about everything. "Pray without ceasing" is definitely a favorite of mine!

brooKlyn said...

I totally agree with Heather. She handed it to me to read over and I looked at her with a smile and said..."That's so Nathan Tinius"
You rock my face!