12.20.2007

40 Days - Day 12

Hey ya'll, it’s Caleb. I’m new at this so I'm not sure how this is going to turn out.

I was listening to my iPod the other day (when I should have been studying for exams), and a song by the Gaither Vocal Band came on called “My Name Is Lazarus.” Previously I would always sing along with it. I thought the song had great meaning, but the other day I finally stopped and truly thought about the song.

The song is set back during Jesus’ time while he was on Earth. It states that while we don’t know much about the men that carried that man to Jesus, we can create an idea of what it was like.

The illustration is thus:

There are four men that are going to see Jesus, and they are carrying a mat with their crippled friend on it. They are all talking to each other, and during the conversation, they start to doubt Jesus’ power.

The first man says:
“I hate to doubt it
For Jesus touched my eyes when I was blind
He made me see and there’s no doubt about it
But this man’s needs are more serious than mine.”

The second man says:
“No need to bother
This man’s condition will remain the same
Though Jesus touched my hand when it was withered
I don’t believe He can heal a man so lame.”

The third man says:“I hate to question
But no one here is more skeptical than me
Though Jesus cleansed me when I was a leper
This helpless man will never walk, you see.”

Then all of the men turn to the fourth man to see how he is going to “criticize and doubt” Jesus. All of the men are completely taken aback when they hear what the fourth man has to say. He says:
He said, “My name is Lazarus, could I testify?
My name is Lazarus, it feels good to be alive
When I in chains of death was bound
This man named Jesus called me out
If you think your little problem is too big for Him to solve
Take it from the one who’s heard the mighty voice of God
A living testimony of his death defying touch, my name is Lazarus!
-----------------------------------------------------------------
All of these men had seen the incredible miracles of Jesus right before their eyes, but they still doubted. I think that we all doubt Jesus at times and wonder if he is really there. Granted, none of us have been raised from the dead by Jesus, but as Nathan (AND GOD) said previously in his message, “if you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you can move mountains.” If you have any problem that you think is too big for God to handle, just remember that He is God and created everything that you see; He knows your thoughts before you even think them. It is as simple as completely giving your problems to God, don’t hold anything back. He might not deal with it the way that you want him to, but He will always act on it the way that is best.

My prayer for this Winter Retreat is that God is evident everywhere. That everyone will be able to see God, and that God will move in everyone in some way. I pray that everyone will come away from camp different than when they first arrived. I pray that if anyone has something that they are dealing with and are afraid to give it up to God, that they would just realize that He can handle it: no problem is too big for Him.

Caleb Reynolds

4 comments:

Heather Higham said...

Caleb,

New or not, God gave you a word. You described the song well for anyone who is unfamiliar with it. (I found it on utube and listened to it!) Then, you reminded me of God's greatness and ability to handle every situation. Increase my faith Lord! Thanks sweet friend for accepting the challenge and being part of the 40 Days of Prayer... It has been really awesome watching God work in your life as you have quietly been stepping into leadership roles around here. Sweet! :)

brooKlyn said...

and to think, you were nervous and unsure about doing this! you nailed it man! awesome job, i'm sooo proud!

Anonymous said...

caleb. i absolutely loved what you wrote. you reminded me how big my God was on a day i sincerely needed to be reminded. thank you friend

Brendon said...

Dude- thanks for the word. You spur me (and others) on to worship as you worship through humbly and faithfully serving. You're the man- props...