12.17.2007

40 Days - Day 9

Luke 6:27-28 has been laying on my heart lately due to some troubles I have been having with my friends, and I have constantly been going back to Luke 6:27-28 for guidance.

"But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you" (Luke 6:27-28 NIV).

We need to love our enemies; maybe set some goals this year to send your enemy a Christmas card or a little present. If you are game enough, go to that person and actually talk to them. Forget your differences and love that person unconditionally. I've seen it work in my life with more than one person, and I'm amazed how much prayer can work! Even the simplest things seem to be 100% better once you pray about it. You seem less worried, stressed and you feel in control of things. : )

Ohhhhhhhhhh and there is more... : )We so often in our lives search for love in anything we can. We so easily forget that God is our strength, and He shelters us from harm. His love for us shines through the windows every morning when we wake up or when we look at the wonderful things He has made for us to enjoy in this temporary world. He protects us, gives us food and a warm bed to sleep in. We should be thankful for the things we have, but we should be willing to give it away.

I pray this season we'll show God's love to our neighbors and friends. Bake some cookies for a neighbor, or go caroling to the nursing home. MAYBE if you are game enough, go to someone that is your enemy, and like the Scripture says, go and love him/her. Give them a surprise note in their mailbox just saying something nice to them.

Be a light this holiday season. Show others what CHRISTmas is really about. : )

Heavenly Father,
For this 40 days of prayer, I pray our friendships will be mended, and our love for God will grow! I hope that enemies become friends again, and we will have the heart to forgive them! God forgave our sins and failures! We must forgive others so that we can be like God! He wants us to forgive! He says so in Scripture that He has forgiven our sins. So, we must forgive others as He has done for us. What an amazing and uplifting word, He loves us that much to give us all that! I pray this Holiday season we’ll get closer to our enemies, and we’ll forgive those who were in the wrong. Amen.

Merry Christmas!

Libby Smallbone

4 comments:

Heather Higham said...

As I told you on your blog yesterday, I am so proud of you! We are all challenged to forgive others as Christ forgave us. Thanks for the reminder as we look toward Christmas and Winter Retreat! You rock! I hope we can ride horses together sometime next year... :)

Anonymous said...

Libby smallbone = Nathan Smiling

This is such an amazing Devo for many reasons but mostly because God is all over it! I loved it...

brooKlyn said...

Libby, I'm so glad you were 'game enough' to write this. It's perfect! I read an article recently on Sinead O'Connor in Risen Magazine. In the interview Sinead shares about the hurts of her past and is asked about forgiveness. Her answer is so right on. "I find it easy to forgive because I have so much to be forgiven of." Is that not so true of all of us!? Libs, you're right on...and when we begin to understand how much we've been forgiven, I think we'll find it easier to forgive. I like you quite a bit!

Anonymous said...

i want to second what brooklyn said and say that i, too, like you quite a bit and you do make me smile!