12.16.2007

40 Days - Day 8

To be honest, writing this will be a struggle; in my own life, I often go many days and sometimes weeks without praying. I use the excuse that I don’t have enough time, or I find something else to do. I often don’t know what to pray for, or how to pray. I’ve tried using devotionals, but I never seem to commit to them.

"In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express" (Romans 8:26 NIV).

Lord, I thank You for this time and opportunity to write this, as You have shown me a weakness in my own faith. I take this time to pray for everyone who often finds themselves in similar situations. For the ones who struggle in finding time or the commitment to sit down for 5 minutes everyday and open Your Word, Lord, I ask You for guidance and strength. As we approach Winter Retreat, I pray for those whom are lost in this world. I pray for those who might be feeling all alone. I pray that You will show up in their lives, like no one has before. For those whom know You already, I ask You to turn over a new leaf in their faith by showing them its not about what or whom they pray for. As long as they pray, You will guide them and lead them in their lives.

In Christ's Name,
Amen

As I was writing, I felt I should share some of my testimony. I once played golf, 4-5 years ago. I traveled the state playing competitively. I was nearing the road of drugs, and I swore like a sailor. I was the most negative person you ever would have encountered. I know now that without prayer I would have never made it to where I am today. I remember times when I played golf; I would often find myself singing and praying to Lord. Even before I had accepted Christ, I prayed. Now that was some 4-5 years ago, but I remember the day I accepted Christ. I remember feeling so new and complete. Shortly after, I felt the Lord telling me to give up golf and to follow His path for my life. After several months of prayer and many sleepless nights, I finally told my parents about the decision I made months before. I had no clue where the Lord was going to take me, but I knew as long as I prayed He would show me. One night at Fusion, I got my calling. There was a spot open on the “tech team.” They needed someone to switch the slides on the PowerPoint during worship, and that’s where it all began. Years later, I am now a senior about to go to college. Throughout the years, I have often been confused on where in fact God was going to take me. It was often hard and frustrating. I remember feeling let down and abandoned at some points, but I always found the Lord's will through prayer.

I tell you this so that you will know life will not always be easy. Though I left out many specific details on the trials I have been faced with, I want you to know that no matter how hard it gets the Lord is always there: all you have to do is open your mouth and start talking.

Lord, I pray for the upcoming Winter Retreat. I pray You will show someone a new beginning - like You showed me many years ago. I pray for those who struggle, who are frustrated, and for those who think they're ready to give up. I ask you to show these people Your mightiness and comfort them in ways they’ve never felt before. I pray for people to know You are always there. It's so easy to give up and place the blame elsewhere. I thank You for the times You never let me give up and for the trials I went through. I ask You to show someone a new beginning, a new start to life on this retreat, or show someone You are God. Everything You do, You have a reason for even though we may not know the reason. However, we will eventually find it, through our prayers to You.

In Christ's Name,
Amen


Andrew Bennett

3 comments:

Heather Higham said...

I can't believe you were worried about writing... You did a fantastic job! Thank you for sharing part of your testimony. Thank you for being real with students about your own struggle with prayer. My prayer for you is that God will use this in your life in a powerful way! I am so proud of you sweet friend! You amaze me!

brooKlyn said...

It's amazing how an encounter with God can totally rock our world. Our dreams seem to become so insignificant when God lights a fire in us and sets His visions and dreams for our lives on our hearts. Many will disregard them however, and stick with a path they are familiar with. I'm proud of you for hearing the voice of God, stepping out and allowing His dreams to become your own. I don't know what we'd do without all the hard work you put into the tech team!

Anonymous said...

i love you bud and am so glad that you wrote this. you did a fantastic job and it really struck home